NGO Committee on Education, Learning and Literacy (A CoNGO Substantive Committee CoSD Side Event February 2017
Global Citizenship for Social Development: Universal Curriculum Design and
ICT-Facilitated Intercultural Learning Environments for All Students
[ SDG #1, #4, #5, and #17]
The use of Universal Design for Learning and Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) enable
more accessible and cross-culturally collaborative learning environments for all learners, including those
with disabilities, both in the U.S. and globally. This side event explores how education can contribute to
reducing poverty and enhancing human life and what kind of teaching and learning best address the needs
of all learners. The panelists discuss theory-based framework to apply universal curriculum design that
engages various learners and cultural diversity and promotes intercultural competence of global citizenship.
By introducing best practices of using ICT and emerging technologies in the United States, Africa, Latin
America, and Asia, the panelists recommend universal and global learning environment for all students
including girls from different cultures and diverse socioeconomic backgrounds.
The key aspects this panel addresses are:
1. Principles and application of Universal Design for Learning
2. Curriculum design framework and global virtual learning to develop intercultural competence
3. Education and technology for children in Brazil, and refugees and migrants in Latin America
4. Academic support and finance for Ghanaian girls and those with special needs.
5. Storytelling e-Book collaboration between Ghana and a school in Newark, N.J.
6. UNESCO’s perspective: quality education of using ICT, arts and music for youth and humanity
The NGO Committee for Education, Learning and Literacy (NGO CELL) proposes an informational
presentation and panel discussion on education for social development, co-sponsored by UNESCO, Society
for Psychology Study of Social Issues (SPSSI), Manhattan Multicultural Counseling (MMC), IVECA
Center for International Virtual Schooling, and Legion of Goodwill-USA.